a little bit of silliness....click on the picture to create a fly for it to eat....

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bike ride to nowhere over the Long Bien Bridge.....

On Sunday Rosemary had suggested we try riding over the Long Bien bridge.  She'd been told that once over it you would be in the countryside with miles of traffic free roads to ride along.  So we gave it a go...the bridge is a railway bridge with lanes on either side for two wheeled vehicles and the very rare pedestrian.  It was a fairly nerve racking ride for Rosemary who is very new to cycling so she just kept riding while I would stop and start to take photos when the inspiration grabbed me.



this was only one of many football games we saw on our ride...a Sunday morning past-time like other a lot of other countries...

there were arable fields under the bridge

this gave me pause until I saw that it was from a previous bridge...scary...




the wind nearly took this poor woman's load right off the rack on the back of her bike...

looking down....
Chuong Duong Bridge off in the distance...

Chuong Duong is for cars and trucks...

Long Bien is only for two wheelers and the trains...
 Once we got over the bridge we cycled round and tried to find a way to get onto the dyke so we could ride alongside the river.  A very nice man directed us to a laneway which led to this lovely lookout.


there were actually steps leading down to the river bank but the bank was too rocky for us to ride along so we gave it a miss...



The ride was rocky but not that long so Rosemary suggested that we do one circumlocution of West Lake for exercise.  I had my camera with me so took the chance to grab some shots on our way round.



hard to believe that something so flimsy can carry a person...

the outrageous gates of a hotel...at least I hope it's a hotel and not a private house...

the building that belongs to the gates...


I just love the embellishments...

the pagoda is now decked with lanterns in advance of Tet...


I just love the splashes of colour the lotus lanterns add...

a beautiful but very cold bride willing to suffer for a great photo....

After our epic non-ride and our 14km circuit of the lake we both felt a bit sweaty and decidedly hungry...time for lunch.  Later Rosemary was kind enough to treat me to an acupressure massage at a place near her home.  She'd found this place a while back when her knee was playing up and they'd really helped.  The massage was strange; I'd never had an acupressure massage before, but I certainly felt the benefit of it later.  After our massage we adjourned to the cafe on Yen Phu to enjoy some yummy Vietnamese yoghurt, mine with sticky rice and Rosemary's with coffee.  While eating we discussed the pros and cons of a manicure/pedicure and came down in favour.  So that's what we did...now my digits are pearly pink and trimmed to within an inch of my life. 

I finished my day with a visit to my favourite Bi Tet restaurant and I'm now watching the brilliant Boardwalk Empire...you wouldn't be dead for quids...right?.

No comments:

Post a Comment