a little bit of silliness....click on the picture to create a fly for it to eat....

Friday, February 18, 2011

Last day in Hanoi....(also known as 'a bit of culture' init?)

It seems surreal that my time here in Hanoi is pretty much over.  For my final day I've decided to take myself into the city to visit one of the most revered sites of historical and cultural importance.  I'm going to the Temple of Literature.
The entrance with it's colourful sign...made up of hundreds of silk flowers...

still beautiful when chock full of  tourists...

Chu Van An...a great, virtuous and frank scholar...he was - the guide book told me so....

The Thai Hoc courtyard....big isn't it?
 Built in 1070 as a temple to Confucius by King Ly Thanh Tong and extended in 1070 to become the first National University of Vietnam.
I'm pretty sure this is King Ly Thanh Tong...he was a pretty enlightened chappie by all acounts...
 Students came from all over Vietnam (male ones only) to study not only the Confucian cannons and administrative writing skills but they also had to become well versed in literary composition and poetry.  Talk about a well rounded arts education, methinks that University Managers of today could learn a thing or two!  After about 3 years they could sit the National Exams and if successful then the Royal Exams to become doctor laureates and mandarins.  The grounds of the temple are just beautiful....





even when teeming with tourists.  There are stelae which record the names of the 1304 Doctor Laureates who achieved this status between 1442 and 1779.  The stelae are mounted on the back of turtles which seem to pop up all round Hanoi. 


each turtle has it's own distinctive character as you can see....
The buildings in the grounds are just gorgeous with so much of the lovely embellishment I have come to love.







I spent a couple of happy hours just soaking up the atmosphere.  Looking out over the city from the upstairs balcony it was hard to believe that you were in the middle of one of the busiest cities in Vietnam.   There were fabulous old bonsai trees...

classic statuary....

and so much to admire.


Inside the buildings at the rear of the Thai Hoc courtyard are shrines to the three powerful kings who contributed to this palace of learning.

I got the impression that this was a scholars or mandarins robe...it's embroidery was equisite...
The locals almost outnumbered the tourists and it's always fun to see kids interacting as they do the world over.  This huge bell hung beside one of the rear buildings....
there were 5 kids crammed inside...I was sooo tempted to use the clanger....
In the middle of the grounds is the Gate of the Geat Synthesis...cool name isn't it?  The guard took my fancy...

...and when I came through these three lovelies were taking photos of each other.  When I asked if I could also they assented gracefully....


The girls worked for a media firm, I'm guessing something to do with tourism, anyway they were very gracious while very intent on their project.  A while later they found me having a quiet moment beside the Turtle Stelae and I cracked up when I noticed one taking a photo of me...when I laughed and gave the classic Viet V sign pose they all came over and this is the lovely result.  Vietnames woman really are quite beautiful, especially when they avoid the trapping of western make up and dress.
I look like  beached whale in the middle...

After my visit I had a final lunch at Koto restaurant then headed home for a wee nana nap before heading into HCC for my final cooking class....Food from the Coast. Seafood in some of it's tastiest guises.

Tracey took the class which consisted of me, a couple of burly boys from NY (one of whom turned out to be the exec chef of a large Steakhouse in Manhattan) and two married couples (also from New York) who were fresh off the plane.
Tracey with the authentic mortar and pestle that she made us pound the squid in....hard work!

clams cooked in Hanoi beer and aromatics...they were wonderful...I polished off the whole bowl!

Blue swimmer crab and pomelo salad...divine, delicate and delicious!

From the top left corner going clockwise...squid and pork cakes, classic dipping sauce, the clams, prawns in betel leaves and the crab salad...some of it still needed the final cooking....

I was a bit reticent about eating the betel leaves - they looked tough and very dark (which I associate with a strong not always pleasant taste) but they were delicious...
It was a great class, though I have to admit the two married blokes got on my nerves a bit.  Tracey would demo and explain very clearly what we had to do, then we would adjourn to our benches to do it.  Every time the bloke behind me would forget in that split second  that it took him to walk back to his bench...but to top it off when his long suffering wife filled in the gaps he would bloody well argue with her!!!  I felt like turning round and crowning him with the pestle.  Thankfully I could tune him out after a bit and concentrated on my little but of culinary heaven.  When we finished and shuffled upstairs to enjoy what we'd made I luckily sat next to the wife and opposite Mike (the chef) and his brother Andy.  We all got on famously and pretty much ignored the rest of the table....a few beers, some great food and fun company....you couldn't ask for a better swan song.

So this is the end of my Vietnam adventure, I'm actually home again in Sydney.  I'll miss Hanoi more that I realised I think.  I'm experiencing a bit of culture shock back here in hot and humid Sydney...but I'm sure I'll settle down and life will return to normal.  Maybe I'll start a new blog....cooknsydney.....what do you think?

Thanks for reading and sharing this wee journey with me...your comments made me feel that I had friends along with me on the trail...take care...till the next time...tam biet...or even better...hen gap lai.

No comments:

Post a Comment